Friday, August 19, 2005

Joe Ranft (1960-2005)


I just found out that Joe Ranft, story artist on many of Pixar's animated movies died Tuesday, August 16 in a car accident in Mendocino, CA.

From what I've read, Joe was well loved and possessed a big heart, helping those within and outside the animation community.

For those who want to know how story is done, check out either the DVDs for A Bug's Life or Monster's Inc. and check out the special features regarding storypitch sequences. His boards are so appealing, so simple, so beautiful.

Though I never knew him, it was his work and talents on many of Pixar's and Disney's movies which made me want to get into storyboarding. You can view many personal stories and thoughts on this beautiful human being at www.cartoonbrew.com or www.ronniedelcarmen.com/blog1/blog.html

As sad as this news is, it's a comfort to know that Joe, with his talent and love made this world a better place, leaving many memorable and lovable characters and stories.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and the Pixar crews. RIP.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

John:

Nice tribute to Joe. I guess this posting answers my question to you in my last email.

Nice blog and I look forward to hearing from you and seeing more of your work.

--Dave

John Nevarez said...

Thanks Dave,

Hope the information helped and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Best regards,

John

pallet furniture for sale said...

Huge tribute to Jose....

Bunk Beds said...

Hai i also like CartoonBrew, A.W.E.S.O.M.E.!